Helen Sellers Davis
Early life and education
Helen Sellers Davis (born April 20, 1912 in Mobile; died April 10, 2008 in Birmingham) was the first licensed female architect in Alabama.
Davis was born in Mobile but grew up in Anniston, where her father had a medical practice. She was drawn to construction sites as a child to marvel at the process of building and always planned to become an architect. She graduated from Ward-Belmont School in Nashville, Tennessee and went on to enroll in the School of Architecture at Alabama Polytechnic Institute.
While a student she married one of her instructors, Charles F. Davis, Jr.
Career in Architecture
After graduating in 1935 Helen and Charles joined the Birmingham firm of Miller, Martin and Lewis, Architects (she was paid $18 per week). She completed her registration from the Alabama Board of Architects on July 7, 1936. They worked there for three years and then moved to the firm of Van Keuren, Davis & Company (now known as Davis Architects), where he became a partner. In the 1960s she left the firm to open her own practice.
Major Buildings and Projects
Press and Awards
Lifetime Achievement Award – Auburn’s College of Architecture, Design and Construction