Helen Douglass French was born in Arlington, Massachusetts, in 1900. She graduated from the Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in 1921. She then worked as a drafter for Charles Loring in Boston, before moving on to the firm of William Delano and Chester Aldrich.
In the 1930s, French and her husband, Prentiss, worked for architect Clarence Martin in Sarasota, Florida. In 1946, the Frenches opened their own firm in San Francisco, where they were active through the 1960s.
Major Buildings and Projects
- Proctor Place (Orelton Farm), Stockbridge, Mass.
- Daniel Chester French Studio, remodel, Stockbridge, Mass.
- Williams S. Rosecrans House, “Hacienda del Gato,” Indio, Calif.